How we collect personal information
Stocks Down Under collects personal information in a number of ways, including:
- Directly from you, such as when you enter your personal details on our websites (e.g. during registration or application for products and services), when you provide information by phone or in documents such as an application form;
- From third parties such as our related companies, credit reporting agencies or your representatives;
- From publicly available sources of information;
- From the organisations identified below under "When we disclose your personal information";
- From our own records of how you use your Stocks Down Under services: or
- When legally required to do so.
How we use your personal information
Your personal information may be used to:
- Identify you and to assist you to subscribe to our website services more easily;
- Provide the services you request;
- Administer and manage those services, including charging, billing and collecting debts;
- Gain an understanding of your information and communication needs in order for us to provide you with better, more personalized services that are tailored to your needs;
- Inform you of ways the services provided to you could be improved;
- Conduct appropriate checks for credit-worthiness and for fraud;
- Research and develop our services;
- Maintain and develop our business systems and infrastructure, including testing and upgrading of these systems;
Your personal information may also be collected to promote and market to you other services which we consider may be of interest to you. Before we do so, we will provide you with an opportunity to give us permission to send you marketing or promotional material (such as promotional email offers), via an opt-in mechanism. That is, we will send you such material only if you elect to receive it or if it is provided to you in response to your request. You may also notify us at any time that you do not wish to receive marketing or promotional material by using the Contact Us page to send your request via email.
Stocks Down Under Websites
Stocks Down Under provides a range of web-based services, either through a particular division within Stocks Down Under or through one of our related companies. Most of these services are provided on the Stocks Down Under.com website, which consists of web addresses (known as 'domains') – StocksDownUnder.com as well as other affiliated domains.
The marketing information provided on our websites will be determined by where you decide to visit on the site. Advertisements may also be presented to you, but the placement of these is not related specifically to any details we hold about you.
Personal information collected from our websites
The types of personal information we collect from you will depend on how you use our web sites. Such information may include your name, telephone/mobile phone number, email address, bank account or credit card details and your Stocks Down Under username or password. We may also collect details of your Stocks Down Under services (including their status) and your personal interests. If you choose not to provide personal information, we may not be able to provide you with the services you require, or the level of service on which we pride ourselves.
Our websites record other information as well. This information is used to improve the structure and performance of those sites to provide users with an improved service. Whenever a page is requested from our web server, we record the time, date and URL of the request, along with information on the browser software that is being used.
When we disclose your personal information
For the purposes set out above (under 'How we use your personal information') we may disclose your personal information to organisations outside Stocks Down Under. Where appropriate, these disclosures are subject to privacy and confidentiality protections. The organisations to which we usually disclose information include:
- Outsourced service providers who manage the services we provide to you, including:
- Customer enquiries;
- Mailing systems;
- Billing and debt-recovery functions;
- Information technology services;
- Installation, maintenance and repair services;
- Marketing services;
- Market research;
- Telecommunication carriers and service providers;
- Your representatives (e.g. your authorized representatives or legal advisers);
- Credit-reporting and fraud-checking agencies;
- Credit providers for credit related purposes such as creditworthiness, credit rating, credit provision and financing;
- Our professional advisers, including our accountants, auditors and lawyers;
- Government and regulatory authorities and other organisations, as required or authorized by law;
- Organisations involved in a transfer/sale of all or part of our assets or business (including accounts and trade receivables) and managing our corporate risk and funding functions (e.g. securitisation);
- Other telecommunication and information service providers; and
- Our related companies.
Help us to ensure we hold accurate information
Stocks Down Under takes all reasonable precautions to ensure that the personal information we collect, use and disclose is accurate, complete and up-to-date. However, the accuracy of the information we hold depends to a large extent on the information you provide. That's why we recommend you:
- Let us know if there are any errors in your personal information; and
- Keep us up to date with changes to your personal information such as your name or address.
You can easily edit or delete the personal information you provide to us on our websites (unless it is mandatory information required for your membership application), but to do so, you will need to log in as a registered user, using your username and password.
If you wish to access or modify personal information which you have provided via our websites, but cannot access that information at our websites, please send an email using the Contact Us page.
You can access your personal information
You have a right to access your personal information, subject to some exceptions allowed by law. If you would like to do so, please let us know by sending an email using the Contact Us page. You may be required to put your request in writing for security reasons. Stocks Down Under reserves the right to charge a fee for searching for and providing access to your information.
Security of your information
We take reasonable steps to ensure that your personal information is stored securely. Transmissions sent to or from our websites are routinely monitored for quality control and systems administration. Unfortunately, no data transmission over the Internet can be guaranteed to be 100% secure. While we strive to protect your personal information from misuse, loss and unauthorised access, we cannot guarantee the security of any information you transmit to us or receive from our online products or services. These activities are conducted at your own risk. Once we receive your transmission, we make our best effort to ensure its security.
Credit card information is among the most important data we collect. Stocks Down Under operates secure servers to minimize the risk of unauthorized use of such information. Credit card information that is transmitted via our secure servers is encrypted in accordance with the industry standards. For obvious reasons, please do not send credit card information through unsecured email.
What else you should know about privacy
Remember to close your browser when you have finished your user session. This is to ensure that others cannot access your personal information and correspondence if you share a computer with someone else or are using a computer in a public place like a library or Internet cafe. You as an individual are responsible for the security of and access to your own computer.
Please be aware that whenever you voluntarily disclose personal information over the Internet (for example: in discussion forums, via email, or in chat sites) that this information can be collected and used by others. In short, if you post personal information in publicly accessible online forums, you may receive unsolicited messages from other parties in return.
Ultimately, you are solely responsible for maintaining the secrecy of your username and passwords and any account information. Please be careful and responsible whenever you are using the Internet and our websites.